Saturday, September 20, 2014

Wisdom to know the difference......


While growing up, there was a cross stitch copy of the serenity prayer hanging on the wall of our dining room.  By the time I was in the fifth grade I had it memorized.  It read, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

This month, for the first time in my life, the meaning of this prayer finally impacted my life. Due to the current political, religious, and ethnic tensions, I cannot go into details for the protection of those trying to help.  I can say that I have witnessed human rights violations.

It is hard having a 21st century viewpoint in a culture steeped in centuries old traditions and mindsets. Authorities know about the situation which I observed.  It has been going on for decades. The attitude is that it is best for society for these individuals to be treated this way. For me, the line between "socially acceptable" and basic human rights has clearly been crossed.  I've talked with other missionaries who are trying to help those impacted and they acknowledge that what I witnessed is not an isolated incident.

I came here to make a difference in the lives of those who already have so little.  To find out that these children have absolutely no basic human rights devastates me.  So here I am, in a country where so many people need help.  Where does one start? I guess this is where the serenity prayer comes in useful.  I will continue on with my work here, impacting where I am able, and, grudgingly, accepting my limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment