Friday, September 12, 2014

Well, I've been here over a month now and I have adjusted well to the culture shock. I've dealt with the personal space issues...Nepalis are very friendly and prefer to get in close.  Interruptions...these are culturally acceptable and normal. Curiosity....they will go through your stuff--mostly just to see things that are not common for Nepal.  And then there are the bathrooms... I have not adjusted well to them and I shall never get used to them.

Things I've learned thus far:
Nepal is a place where starvation is a problem, not obesity. Men walk with arms around each other shoulders because they are friends, not because they are homosexual. Water buffalo, chickens, dogs, monkeys, and cows in the street are quite normal. I am more surprised when I have electricity than when I don't. I have learned that furniture and silverware are truly completely optional. I haven't worn shoes or a watch in over a month....and it feels wonderful. I've lost some weight, but feel great. Smiles need no translation. It's OK to sing off key as long as you sing as loud as you can.  The same goes for dancing....apparently there is no such thing as a bad dance move.  I am learning a LOT of patience dealing with home schooling a six year old, caring for a 17 month-old baby, and trying to "reason" with an autistic 4 year-old. I am loving the new friends and connections which I have made and am amazed at the number of international humanitarian groups/opportunities here. Be content with what you have. Share with others.  Practise hospitality.

The best church moment yet:
Women are on the left side of the room, men are on the other.  One father was holding his daughter, who was becoming fussy.  His wife was on the other side of the room.  Without hesitation she threw a stuffed animal clear across the room, missing her husband yet nailing another man in the head!  Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment