Saturday, September 29, 2018

Fall Newsletter

MONGOLIA!
During the summer, the family which I was serving went back to the States to visit their grandparents.  For that month, I was able to visit Mongolia, which borders China to the north.  I spent two weeks in the capital city of Ulaanbaatar and two weeks touring the rest of the country.  I joined a small tour group which was comprised of five people, a guide, and a driver.  We traveled to the beautiful Orkhon Valley and we visited the Flaming Cliffs of Bayanzag where scientists first discovered fully intact remains of dinosaurs. Close to this location, we were able to hike up a mountain where we saw hundreds of petroglyphs. We finished up the tour in the Gobi desert by riding camels.  We enjoyed great adventures and lots of embarrassingly funny moments along the way.  We camped in teepees and yurts as we traveled through the country.  There were no roads, so we drove through high mesas, mountains, through rivers, and over grasslands. The goats, yaks, horses, and camels kept us on our toes. They enjoyed eating our breakfast for us (goats), waking us up in the night (yaks and horses) and running away from us (camels).  We took turns falling off of horses and camels (not me) or tripping and falling down mountains (definitely me).  We all ended up wet and muddy during a failed attempt to cross a swollen river in the Uaz.  While everyone's luggage was floating down the river, I was focused on saving the toilet paper from getting soaked.  Priorities, people. Priorities! 

Mongolia is amazing.  I encourage everyone to visit it if they have the opportunity and option to do so.  The Mongolian people are so friendly and proud of their heritage.  I'd have to say that it was the best vacation I've taken yet. 

 
Top left:  this is a bridge we had to cross, as viewed from inside the Uaz.
Top right:  The beautiful Orkhon Valley.
Middle left:  My ride through the Gobi desert!
Middle right:  Rock formation near Eight Lakes National Park
Bottom left:  Our camel breeder taking a nap in the Gobi desert.
Bottom right:  Our Uaz got stuck during an attempted river crossing.
Top left:  The goat who ate our breakfast.
Top right:  Lovely Anuka and her Mom.
Bottom left:  Petroglyphs and Lenny, my traveling gnome.
Bottom right:  Sunset over a yurt.
GOODBYE CHINA!
 
 
By mid-September, I had finished with my assignment in China.  My experiences in China will remain at the forefront of my thoughts for quite a while.  The believers in China are strong, courageous people. They face difficulties that are unimaginable to most Westerners.  In spite of the threats to their livelihoods and families, they continue to choose to believe in and practice Christianity.  Please keep praying for their safety, and that they would be strengthened when facing persecution and pressure from their families and the government. 
 
 

HELLO SOUTH KOREA!
I arrived in South Korea earlier this week.  Before you start to worry, I am nowhere near North Korea.  I am working on Jeju Island, a beautiful volcanic island in the Korean Strait located south of the Korean peninsula. It is a very tranquil island, with palm trees, beaches, and a volcano. My job here is to take care of an elderly missionary couple.  They retired after 55 years of service and now need a bit of extra help. Due to visa restrictions, I will only be here for three months.  After my term here is finished, I will be headed back to Florida to spend some quality time with my family. 

 
These little guys are all over the island.  Jeju is called "The Island of the Gods."
Please pray for Christian converts to be strengthened when facing strong pressure from family, friends, and neighbors to recant their faith.  

No comments:

Post a Comment