Monday, December 15, 2014

.........And beyond

After five months, the time has come for me to leave Nepal. I will fondly remember my time spent here. The Nepali people are friendly, happy, and welcoming. They are exceptional stewards of all that they have. As a whole, they are the happiest people I have ever met. I have been humbled by their kindness and generosity. Along the way, I found myself looking at things differently. This can be expected when you find yourself immersed in another culture. Things that wouldn't work at home work well here. No stoplights or stop signs? No problem. Traffic flows and merges smoothly; it is amazing to watch. No electricity? No problem. Without modern day conveniences, there is no use for it. I've learned so much here, especially when it comes to knowing "needs versus wants". If there is shelter, water, and food are available for you, everything else is just icing on the cake. You can live without electricity, hot water, cold drinks, Western toilets, Starbucks, furniture, televisions, and the internet. I now appreciate the "little" things so much more. I am grateful to my family for giving me their blessings and encouragement to go on this mission and I am also overwhelmed by the prayers and support that I have received from my friends. I miss you all and cannot wait to see you again.

 My next assignment is in Albania. I have no idea what challenges are in store for me there, but as always, I relish adventure and will embrace it happily with my arms wide open! Stay tuned....

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment