Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Kathmandu
I only got to spend about 16 hours in Kathmandu but the experience will be a part of me forever.  Personally, I think everyone's bucket list should include a trip to Kathmandu complete with a taxi ride through downtown.  The traffic is terrifying yet exhilarating at the same time.  You can LITERALLY reach out and touch the others drivers regardless of which direction they are traveling. Lane designations seem to be merely suggestions. There are no single file lanes.  If there is an unoccupied space, it is fair game to wedge your vehicle into it. It seems as though there is an unwritten rule to challenge drivers to see how many trucks/cars/motorbikes can fit side by side within the white lines. Horns are honked constantly and mere inches separate vehicles whether they are moving or stopped. It is one big game of "chicken". Animals add to the traffic challenges.  Cows meander through the city streets uconcerned with the traffic.  Even funnier was the pack of stray dogs chasing a monkey through the traffic, completely indifferent to the traffic speeding by them.  Smog is very thick in the city and many people wear masks in an attempt to protect themselves.  The city smells of diesel fumes intermixed with woodsmoke and spices.  Strangely enough, the smell is surprisingly pleasant.

The buildings in Kathmandu are simple, yet most have colorful, intricate details that you would not expect.  Most have rooftops gardens, solar collection systems, and rain collection systems.   Hopefully my internet connection will stay strong so I can upload some pictures.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are in for quite a ride - enjoyed the blog - keep it coming! Janice Hiner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to send a comment here. Please let me know if you receive this. Thanks. Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think it went thr. You are one amazing woman and like I mentioned on FB, your blog is the next best thing to being there! I'm so looking forward to your next entry. I'm thinking when you do come home you will be on overload because life there seems so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see that you made it there safely. I am looking forward to reading more of your observations. Be careful. Wade and Ruby Rosbach

    ReplyDelete